The IRIS Connect system is, uniquely, developed from research and best practice in supporting teachers and schools to enhance expertise through self-reflection, enquiry, building teacher learning communities and coaching.
IRIS Connect is not a surveillance system; it is permission-based with multiple levels of security to ensure that teachers can feel confident and empowered by its use and remain in control throughout the process.
• IRIS Connect has thought very carefully about responsibilities under the Data Protection Act and developed a system in line with the relevant guidance from the Information Commissioners Office (ICO). IRIS Connect is registered with the ICO and the information pertinent to this registration is available within the online application. It is the responsibility of the headteacher to ensure parents are appropriately informed and relevant permissions are gained.
• IRIS Connect is clear that the permissions gained do not provide any rights to parents or pupils, whether or not they hold individual user accounts with IRIS, to access information stored on other individual user accounts.
IRIS Connect has created a system infrastructure that meets and exceeds the high levels of security required for the processing of such sensitive data and to protect the privacy of users.
IRIS Connect uses cloud-based computing and data services, whose infrastructure meets the highest levels of commercial standards, and high levels of encryption where appropriate.
The privacy rights of users is paramount and they remain in full control of any video from beginning to end of the process. There must be no system ‘override’ to give administrator rights to remotely or subsequently view a lesson without the permission of the teacher.
• The IRIS Connect system is based on individual user accounts.
• Users are required to sign an EndUser Licence Agreement (EULA) before they can complete their initial log-in to the system.
• Each user will be provided with a copy of the EULA.
• Cameras will only turn on with the explicit permission of the individual teacher.
• The video is uploaded to the user account of the teacher who wishes to participate in the process of self-reflection.
• The individual teacher retains complete control over who has access to their data by deciding whether or not to share observations with either another individual user or a group library.
• The individual teacher never ‘loses sight’ of their observation and can recall the observation from another user or group library at any time.
• The individual teacher retains the right to delete a video at any time.
• The system does not assign administrator rights to any person to enable them to remotely view or subsequently view a video belonging to an individual teacher without their permission.
The following is a possible exemplar Code of Practice:
Code of Practice:
The IRIS Connect system is designed for professional development and uses video and audio recordings to enable teacher self-reflection and collaboration. The school, [insert name of school], consulted fully with all staff and the trade union representatives before the system was purchased. The use of the system will be reviewed on an annual basis through consultation with all staff and the trade union representatives. All staff will be trained appropriately before being given access to the system. As a professional learning community, we recognise the need for a shared understanding of what the system is for and how it will be used:
Consequently, we agree that:
• the system can be used for personal reflection and remains under the control of the individual teacher at all stages and in all circumstances;
• the system may be used, with the teacher’s permission, for collaboration, coaching and enquiry learning and remains under control of the individual teacher at all stages and in all circumstances;
• the system will not be used for surveillance;
• no pressure, either implicit or explicit, will be placed on teachers, or management direction given to teachers, to use the system in any circumstances;
• no pressure, either implicit or explicit, will be placed on teachers, or management direction given to teachers, to share their practice with other users of the system;
• teachers cannot be directed to use the system. Its use is entirely voluntary;
• where a user decides to agree to share the information, the system will be used confidentially, sensitively and developmentally and with due respect for colleagues;
• the school accepts the responsibility to provide appropriate training in the use of the system to all those who decide to use the equipment;
• all individual users have the responsibility to protect their own data and the data of others and not to disclose passwords, notwithstanding the responsibilities of the provider/ data controller;
• the school will inform parents that the system will be used for the purpose of professional development and training and that all those present when the system is in use will be informed;
• teachers who decide to use the system will inform all those around them that the IRIS Connect camera is being used in the room for the purpose of their personal professional development and training only and that it can record both video and audio