This article covers
- What are Rooms?
- Creating a Room
- Starting a Room
- Sharing a Room
- Configuring a Room
- Subscribed Groups
- Subscribed Users
What are Rooms?
Rooms is a video conferencing service, integrated as part of the IRIS Connect platform. It's a great tool for CPD and effective teacher collaboration.
You can easily connect with colleagues wherever they are, use recorded videos to reflect live together; identify areas of improvement or share with peers to showcase examples of good practice or ask for feedback.
Rooms can be joined by both IRIS Connect users and non-members and has integrated recording that uploads directly into your IRIS Connect account.
There are four main use cases for use:
- Tutoring/virtual office hours
- Flipped classroom
- Group collaboration
- Full online classes
Creating a Room
Select Rooms from the top navigation bar on the Web Platform.
Type in a name for your conference Room and click the green '+' button. Your new Room should appear just below this field.
There is no limit to the number of Rooms that you can create, so feel free to create as many as you like for all kinds of different purposes.
Starting a Room
The Start Room button.
Sharing a Room
Copy Join Link includes the URL that is needed to join the Room. When you click the blue button, this is saved to your computer's clipboard. Users can paste the URL into their browser's address bar to join the Room. You can use the URL as a hyperlink in any correspondence.
Copy Subscribe Link includes the URL that users will need to subscribe to the Room. Once they open the link with their browser, a green message should display saying that they have successfully subscribed to the Room. The Room will now appear in their list of Rooms. Subscribers to the Room will appear underneath the configuration panel.
A subscribed user will have this view of the Room with the options to Join and Unsubscribe
Configuring a Room
When you have a Room selected, you will see the various options for it on the right.
- You can change the name of the Room
- You can Upload an image on the left to update the image for your Room.
If you wish to set an additional layer of security with an optional access code for the Room you can do that here.
- Allow student account participants - For information about student accounts see here
- Participants must be approved by moderator - if participants need approval before joining the meeting
- Participants must have a platform account - if your room can be accessed by non-IRIS Connect account holders
- Enables anyone participant, rather than just owners to start the room
For more information on Sharing see here
- Automatically start recording
- Allow moderators to start/pause/resume/stop recording
Whenever you change anything, click the Update button to save your changes.
The Delete button will delete the Room entirely from your account and from any account that is subscribed.
This section will show any recordings you have made during your meetings in this Room.
These reflections will also appear in your reflections library.
You can review or delete them from the rooms reflections menu. Deleting the reflection from here will also delete the reflection from your reflections library.
Recordings can be automatically shared to attendees and subscribed users & groups if you have enabled the relevant option:
This section shows any participants for recorded Room sessions along with the date of that session.
This feature enables you to include your Room as a resource in a Group, for members of that Group to access.
Additionally if you have selected 'Automatically share recording with subscribers' then the recordings will share with the Group, and be visible under the Reflections page of the Group.
To subscribe a Group you will need to select "Allow groups and participants to subscribe to room" for your Room, then you will see the Subscribed groups tab at the bottom of the page.
Once the option is enabled, you can either:
1) Go to the Group that you are an administrator of. You will see the options below. Then either paste the subscribe link into the input field or click the Rooms search button and browse for the Room you wish to subscribe to.
2) Alternatively, you can subscribe a Group via the Subscribed groups tab under Rooms. Click the Subscribe Groups + button and search for the Group.
You will then see the group listed with the option to unsubscribe.
Users are able to subscribe to a Room.
They can do this either:
a) If you send them the subscribe link for the room (as outlined above)
b) When they join the room.
The Subscribed Users section shows you which users have subscribed to your Room. You are able to unsubscribe them by clicking the unsubscribe button