- Supported Android and iOS Versions
- Device Specification
- Internet Connection Requirements
- Network/Wireless Requirements
- Storage Requirements
- How long can I record without uploading?
Supported Android and iOS versions
You will need an iOS or Android device to install the Record app. the device will need to be running either:
- iOS 13 or newer
- Android 6 or newer
- Amazon Fire
- Chrome OS (Chromebooks) - Dependant on the model (please test beforehand). No support for Bluetooth microphones
We would recommend that the recording device you use meets the below specifications as a minimum
- RAM (Memory): 2GB
- Storage: 8GB
- Processor: Dual-core 2GHz
Please do a test recording as you intend to use the device (e.g. with Bluetooth mic paired if planning to use one) to ensure audio and video are recorded ok prior to capturing a recording.
Due to the vast number of manufacturers, models and software versions, we aren't able to test all combinations. The above is a rough guide to finding a suitable device. Please get in contact with our support desk if you have any questions or problems
Internet Connection Requirements
– We recommend a minimum of 4-5MBps upload speed. This is based upon a 'medium' resolution being used. Users are able to increase the recording quality but are notified that this isn't recommended on slower connections.
– The Record app will create a file of about 1GB for a 1-hour recording on medium resolution (this will vary depending on the device), which will upload in around 30 minutes at the above speed (this will vary depending on file size, connection stability and connection speed).
You will need a wireless/mobile network connection to:
1) Install the Record app,
2) Authenticate your login details when logging in (first time only, afterwards you can log in offline)
3) Uploading recordings
4) Updating the app
5) Accessing the web platform to review your recordings
You may need to allow some of our URLs through your internet filtering if we find they are being blocked. See URL list here
The Record app will create a file of about 1GB-1.5GB for a 1-hour recording on medium quality.
Once the upload has been completed the app will automatically delete the file. You will need at least double the expected file size in free space on your device to enable the device to make an encrypted copy of the file which is then used to securely upload to your account.
We recommend having at least 2GB of space for a 1-hour recording, but each device will record at a slightly different resolution.
The Record app will stop you from starting recording when there is less than 100mb of space remaining.
The Record app is very small, only requiring:
How long can I record without uploading?
The Record app stores recordings (encrypted) on the device until they are uploaded.
Let's say 1.5GB/hour is a safe estimate for medium-quality recordings
So 3GB is needed per hour in order to be able to encrypt the file.
Discovery Kit 8: 64GB iPads 9th Gen - 13GB or so for operating software, apps etc
iPads: 64gb minus OS storage = 51GB space / 3GB = 17 hours
Starter Kit: 32GB Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite - 12GB or so for operating software, app etc
Samsung: 32GB minus OS storage = 21GB /3 GB = 7 hours