This guide will tell you all you need to know to create a recording using a 'Starter Kit'. However, if you do not have the Record app installed on the device, you will need to follow the installation guide here.
What is a Starter Kit?
The IRIS Connect Starter Kit is a simple way to help you capture better videos. It includes:
- a Bluetooth microphone to improve the audio you capture
- a lanyard to wear the microphone
- a device holder with tripod to hold your device whilst recording
- a case to store and carry the kit within
- some Starter Kits include a mobile device.
Not sure which hardware you have? Click here to identify your hardware.
1. Using the Bluetooth Microphone
a. Pairing the Microphone
- When pairing to your device for the first time make sure the distance between the device and microphone is less than 1 meter.
- Press and hold the power button on the side of the microphone for a few seconds until the LED indicator flashes blue.
- Navigate to your device’s Bluetooth settings menu.
- On your device, turn on Bluetooth and select SmartMic from the list of available Bluetooth devices.
- Your device should now show the status as connected. You can click the Bluetooth icon from inside the app to check the Bluetooth mic status.
- After pairing for the first time and powering on again, the SmartMic will automatically connect to the device it was last paired to. This can be undone by unpairing the SmartMic in the device Bluetooth settings.
NOTE: The device speakers are automatically disabled when the Bluetooth microphone is paired. This feature is built into the device to prevent any feedback from damaging the speakers.
If you would like to playback a reflection on the device following a recording, you can either plug in earphones or disconnect the Bluetooth mic.
You can toggle Bluetooth on and off via the quick menu (drag down from the top of the screen). This will disconnect the Bluetooth mic and enable the device speakers.
b. Turning on the Microphone
If you have previously paired your device to the microphone, follow the steps below.
- Make sure your device has Bluetooth turned on.
- Press and hold the button for a few seconds to turn the microphone on. The light will flash purple.
- The indicator light on the microphone will flash slowly to show it is connected.
c. Checking the Battery Level
When the battery is low, the indicator will turn red.
The battery takes about 1.5 hours to charge. Please use the included TYPE-C charging cable for charging.
The indicator is red while charging, it will turn green when fully charged.
d. LED Indicator Guide
2. Using the Tripod
a. Setting up the Tripod
- Loosen the lower screw and pull out the legs (you might have to pull 2 legs at the same time)
- Once the legs are extended to the desired distance, tighten the screw (the wider the legs are extended the greater stability the tripod will have)
- Open the clips to extend the central pole, then close at the desired height
b. Attaching a device to the Tripod
The holder is stored at a 90º angle in the case, it needs to be upright so you can place the tablet in a landscape orientation. You can do this by loosening the top screw, lifting up the holder and then tightening.
Your phone needs to be placed into the holder in a landscape orientation. To do this make sure the holder is at a 90° angle to the tripod. If using out of the case you will need to twist the holder up so that it faces you, or if it has been previously used for a tablet you will need to loosen the top screw and move the holder down to 90°, then tighten.
Pull the springy/sprung/stretchy side/top of the holder to extend it, allowing you to place the device in the holder in a landscape orientation.
WARNING! Make sure the device is held securely in the holder before moving the tripod.
If the holder is too large/small, you can adjust the size of it by pressing the button on the back and extending or compressing the top of it, then release the button.
c. Final Setup and Recording
- Place the tripod either on the floor or on a desk or shelf, extending or decreasing the central pole to the desired height.
- If the tripod is somewhere where it might get knocked or if it’s extended quite high, we recommend using the velcro strap included in the kit to secure it to a table leg or similar.
- Clip the microphone to your clothing or use the lanyard and holder provided.
- Launch the IRIS Connect Record app on your device and follow the on-screen instructions.
a. Instructions for using the Record app to create a recording
The Starter Kit will use the Record app on your device to capture your recording. If you are unfamiliar with the app, you can access the relevant article, or use the button below to get step by step instructions in the Platform to guide you through using the IRIS Connect Record app.
Show me how to use the Record App
b. After you have finished recording
- Make sure that the recording has uploaded before turning off the device.
- To turn off the microphone, press the button for a few seconds, the light will flash purple.
- Charge both the Bluetooth microphone and recording device to make sure they will have enough battery for the next recording.
Next, find out how to access your recordings. Tutorial: How to review your Reflections.
- Are there any data security concerns about using my own device to record?
- How can I order more Starter Kits for my organisation?
- Which devices can be used with a Starter Kit?
- How do I update the app via MDM?
- I cannot log in to the Record app.
- My device is not staying in the holder.
- My device is not pairing with the Bluetooth mic.