This article will explain Student/Learner Groups, what they are, why, and how to use them.
For education customers, these groups are called Student Groups
For our non-education customers (medical, corporate etc) these groups are called Learner Groups
What are Student Groups?
Student Groups are specific Groups that are only accessible to users with a Student Account
A Student Account allows users to access content only via a Student Group but does not allow students to upload, view, or share reflections or other content. More information about Student Accounts can be found here.
A Student Group is a great place to store additional lesson resources which students can access and view either during or outside of a lesson.
INFO: Summary of Student Groups
- As Student accounts can't receive direct shares, you will need to create a Student Group for the users to access any content you wish to share.
- A Student Group is an area similar to a regular group but can be accessed by users with a student account.
- A Student account does not allow students to upload, view, or share reflections or other content.
- For safeguarding reasons, Student Groups are locked as Local Groups so cannot be upgraded to a Community Group to enable adding users from other organisations.
Creating a Student Group
You can create a student group the same way you would create a standard group. When you create the group you will be given the option to set it up as a Teacher or Student Group.
The rest of the process follows the same steps as creating a regular Group.
add pages and headings to your group.
add and share different content to your group.
Like mini forums, discussions can be embedded into pages of Groups to encourage and facilitate online discussions.
Follow this guide on how to create and embed discussions.
All teachers added to a Student Group will be automatically set as Group Admin and have the same group admin right as the owner/creator of the group.
Follow this guide on how to add members to your group.
You will be able to either add students and teachers individually using the search box or copy and email group sign up link.
You can only add to the group those users have already have IRIS Connect account and who are in your organisation.
Follow this guide on how to create a student account.
Group administrators can manage which notifications are sent to the group members.
- Requests only - Admins will only receive join request notifications.
- Admins only - Admins will receive all notifications such as when a reflection is shared to the group.
- Admins + Members - Admins will receive all notifications as above. Students will receive notifications when reflections are shared to the group or another video is added to a shared reflection.
All student groups can be managed by Organisation administrators even if you are not a member of these groups. See here for more information.
NOTE: This section of the guide is for Organisation Administrators
You can also add multiple student accounts to a student group at once via the CSV import tool.
Just go to your Admin Settings > Users > CSV User Management > Download CSV.
Then add the Student Group ID number (you can find this number in the URL of the group) to the GROUPS column next to the student account/accounts you want to add.
After that just save and upload the CSV back to the user list via the Upload CSV + button.